5 Reasons You Will Fail At Blogging
I have to admit, I am guilty of these 5 reasons you will fail at blogging. Some background on me; I started reading blogs when Self Magazine had their registered dietician blogger, Eat Like Me blogging what she ate for every meal 3 times a day. During that time I also found PBFingers, Fitnessista, SweetToothSweetLife, and HungryRunnerGirl (all blogs I still love to read today)! I was hooked and dreamt of starting my own blog one day. In 2012 I started planning out a fitness blog, but got overwhelmed with the design of the website and stopped. I never even wrote a post. I began again in 2015 and wrote a few posts, but that is where it ended. Finally, in November 2017 I came across Suzi at Start A Mom Blog and found her Blog By Numbers course. This got me where I am today (here is what I did). I got my blog up and running, have gained a following, and feel confident that this will be my full time (full income) job within 7 months. Moral of the story? Don’t do what I did! Below are mistakes to avoid when starting a blog.
You never start
- Or you “start” but not really. Ha. That was me. I “started” a blog two times aside from my current blog. Similar ideas to what I have now, but all executed the wrong way. The difference between this time and the others? I found ONE mentor, and stuck with her advice only. There is so much information out there, and that alone can send you in a million different directions. I highly recommend Start A Mom Blog’s Blog By Numbers course. This got me out of my head and into my blog!
You are inconsistent
- Something I am still working on, but have improved so much! I truly feel you need to work on your blog daily for it to be successful. There is more to it than writing a post (surprisingly the hardest part for me!). You need to respond to comments, pin to Pinterest, post to Facebook, post to Instagram, use other social media outlets, brainstorm, research, etc… I have found creating a daily to do list for my blog is essential for success!
You don’t put in the effort
- Blogging is not easy. I think from the outside it can look like you just type up a post and done! Thousands of people come running to your site to read it and your a star! If only it was that easy. It takes so much time, effort, and trial and error. What works for me, may not work for you. Everyone’s following will be different, which is what makes you different from all the other bloggers out there!
You don’t believe you can do it
- Oh hey insecurities! This was (and still is) me. I created a new Instagram account because I didn’t feel comfortable having all of my friends and family know I was starting a blog. My thought process with this is changing and I am owning it! I told my closest friends and they have all been so supportive! YOU CAN DO THIS! If you struggle from insecurities in your life, I recommend starting every day with gratitude and a journal entry. At the top of my daily schedule I write the same three things every day; I am a blogger. I am consistent. I am capable.
You continually plan instead of execute
- Anxiety LOVES to have me make list after list, plan after plan. On one level, a good brain dump always gets all that chatter out of my head. On another level…it can overcome me, and take all my time. You can only plan so much. There will come a time when you just have to write that first post and day F it. I listened to a great podcast when starting my blog that said shoot for B work. You can spend forever trying to get that A+ post up, but in the end, if you want to start you gotta just do it! Shoot for average, not perfection. You will get so much further in life. The best thing about blogging, you can always go back and update old posts as you learn a long the way. If its that bad? Delete it! This is YOUR blog! Don’t be scared to start.
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for the support!