10 Things I Do To Make My Life Easier As A Mom
I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately. Asking myself questions like where is my anxiety coming from? Why am I emotionally eating? How can I give up things and not freak out about it? Whats gotta give? Because in the end, the only answer is something has to give! I am in a mastermind class with the wonderful Sara Dean (PLEASE check out her Podcast! Life changing!) and she had us make a list of things we want more of and less of. My less of list included less cooking, anxiety, guilt, cleaning, fatigue, and many other crappy emotions I tend to feel. At first, not super helpful because duh! I want less anxiety, guilt, and fatigue…but HOW? While I am still searching for that answer, I know the way to less stress is to make things easier. Less perfection and more grace. So here are 10 things I do to make my life easier as a mom. (Okay…disclaimer here, keep in mind I am not perfect and I don’t always do what is listed below. Still a work in progress).
- Prioritize your health. This means sticking to a workout schedule. Working out is a passion for me, and I know it makes me feel better. Therefore, I always make time to workout. I strive for 5-6 times a week. This means I usually leave my husband to deal with the kids on Saturday morning when I sneak out for a workout class when they’re waking up. I use to feel guilty about it! Not anymore. Whatever! He is capable (and willing) and can deal with it. Luckily he doesn’t have any issues-while I know he would prefer to sleep in, chances are I would have him get up with me anyways to make breakfast with us. 😉
- Use a subscription service for household and baby items. This is a lifesaver! We ALWAYS have toiletpaper, papertowels, laundry detergent, toothpaste, bodywash, handwash, dish soap, and diapers! I even do a subscription service for our dog food through Chewy! It is so nice to not have to think about these things. They litereally just show up to my door. Just an FYI in the beginning I encourage you to pay attention to what and when you need items so you can make adjustments as necessary to the ship dates. There have been a few times where it looked like I had a hoarding problem! For help on how to start, here is a list of things I have on my subscriptions list through Target:
- Use a command center and shared calendar. LIFE CHANGING….when you remember to use it! My husband made us a very simple, clean command center on our door where I can write out things that need to go to daycare/preschool if he is doing drop-off that day, put grocery foods we need, what our schedule is for the week, and my favorite, a honey-do list. We also share a calendar for important events like when he will be at a hockey game, or if I am going out with a friend. This ensures we are more likely to be on the same page and not have arguments over forgetting things!
- Stop Cleaning So Often! And set a timer when you are cleaning. This is really hard for me, and something I am still figuring out how to handle. I actually enjoy cleaning and organizing (in peace) and find that I do this as an avoidance to work on things I don’t want to do. One thing I have been doing is setting a timer for 15min every night, I power clean, and when the timer goes off i’m done! Whatever doesn’t get done can wait. It’s actually amazing how much cleaning a mom can do in 15 minutes….
- Re-evaluate your priorities and goals. This is something I recommend to do frequently. Once a month I like to check in with myself and see how things are going. Am I happy? What is stressing me out? How is my energy? I have to constantly remind myself cleaning and perfection are NOT priorities of mine. My health, marriage, and kids are my 3 main priorities. Everything else will get done when it gets done.
- Wake up before the kids. Nothing is worse than waking up to screaming kids. It really puts me in a bad mood. I am in a lucky phase of my life where my kids will stay in their rooms and play quietly (if you consider ramming trucks into the wall quiet…) until 7:30/8am. When I wake up at 6am, I have at least an entire hour of uninterrupted time for me! It is seriously the best. I can get in a quick meditation, a 5 min morning yoga flow, work on the blog, and having coffee in peace while scrolling through Instagram-my favorite mind numbing activity. The tricky part with this is basically being a mom ninja and not letting them know I am awake…because shit can hit the fan if they know. 😉
- Have a routine. Routines bring me so much peace. I love time blocking important activities, having a workout plan, and a general plan of what we are doing for the day. When I create a plan the night before, I always have less anxiety before bed.
- Be open to change. I guess this can contradict the “have a routine” listed above, but as a parent you have to be flexible and open to change. Things happen. Kids get sick, you get sick, dinner falls on the floor, you leave groceries out to spoil on the counter…the list goes on and on. Roll with the punches. It will be okay.
- Schedule fun and adventure. I am not spontaneous. Based on this list, I obviously like plans, order, and predictability. This doesn’t mean im not fun though! I love wine tasting, going out to dinner, hanging out with friends….I just prefer it to be planned 😉
- Grace not Perfection. THE MOST DIFFICULT OF ALL! This is my phrase for 2018. I need to get rid of the guilt, perfection, and lack of confidence that can overtake a lot of my dreams, like this blog! I really have had to push myself out of my comfort zone to get it going, and it is still dififcult to proudly talk about it to friends and family! I catch myself waiting for it to be perfect before I will share it with others. How does this make my life easier as a mom? Without a doubt in my mind, this blog will allow me to quit my job. This blog will allow me the flexibility to work from home (or a coffee shop), work around my family’s schedule, and fulfill my purpose in life. This blog will show my kids that mom is talented, hardworking, happy, and will teach them they can do anything they set their minds to.
I hope this gives you some ideas on how to make your life easier!
What are some things you do to create simplicity in your life?
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for the support!